1) The First Thanksgiving was celebrated in 1621
2) 242 million turkeys are expected to be raised in the US in 2010
3) The amount of turkey consumed by the typical American in one year is 13.8 pounds
4) There are 3 cities in the US named after Thanksgivings main dish 1. Turkey, Texas 2. Turkey Creek, Louisiana 3. Turkey, North Carolina
5) The city of Plymouth, Minnesota (local shred pro Jake Olsen Elm's hometown) was named after Plymouth Rock where the pilgrims first landed in America
6) At one time the turkey was being considered for America's national bird along with the bald eagle
7) A turkey under sixteen weeks of age is called a fryer, while a young roaster is five to seven months old
8) Turkeys are the only breed of poultry native to the Western Hemisphere.